Are you tired of your same old house? The house that just looks so boring and unappealing? Maybe it is time for a change. Take some time to really think about your style, and what you like. There are many styles and designs out there. Try to examine all of them and see which one suits your lifestyle the most. There are a lot of home decoration tips that you can use. If you are searching for ideas for making your home more modern, you are in the right place. A modern look is one that carries itself, that is why people usually love it. This guide will show you how to make your house look more modern without spending a lot of money, time or effort.
Make a List
First things first, you have to sit down, and write your ideas and needs! Make a simple list of the things you want to improve. See what needs changing immediately and what can wait. As with everything, home decoration involves money, time and effort. So, decide which room you will decorate first. It is always easier if you start with just one room at a time, especially if you are new at this. Making your home more modern involves a lot of research and resourcefulness. But do not worry, we are here to help you! It is a good idea to have everything written on a piece of paper. Take that list and go window-shopping.
If it is allowed, take pictures of the things you like. Also, remember their prices. Then, decide how big your budget is going to be. If you can’t afford to choose and purchase pieces of furniture that you love or update pieces that are worn out or broken, think about visiting some yard and garage sales. You will be surprised at how many cool things you can find there. The little things can make your rental feel like home and you will be more comfortable when you give a place personal touch.
After making your list and deciding which room will be upgraded first, make sure to declutter. Get rid of all the things that are broken or worn down. Simplify everything! Making your home more modern is about simplicity. You don’t need fancy tools to declutter your home, you can use bins, baskets or even just cardboard boxes for this task. You can bring these bins into each room as you declutter or leave them in a central place in your house. It is also a good idea to mark those bins, that is, to choose their purpose. Do not forget to make the inventory.
How to declutter?
–Put Away Bin – This is for the items that you do not want to throw away. Or you are not sure how they will fit in in your new modernized home. So, save these items for later, until the room is finished. Hopefully, after the redecoration, these items will go into their designated spots.
- –Recycle Bin – Recycling is a must. Collect things such as paper, plastic or glass. So, throw away all of those old notebooks, saved mugs or glasses that you no longer use.
- –Trash Bin – This is simple. All broken or worn out things go to this bin. Do not hold on to things that have no purpose. Saving some things that have sentimental value is okay, but do not go overboard!
- –Donate Bin – This is the bin that will contain all the things that are good, but you do not see them fitting in your new home. Old pieces of furniture, appliances that still work, books that you no longer read, or old clothing. Ask your friends and relatives if they would like something from this bin. So, visit a charitable organization and donate items you can imagine another person wanting or needing.
Making your home more modern – Ideas
Here are four ways to make sure that making your home more modern does look fancy, and not cheap:
- Minimalism is your friend – While it is very nice to have a dining table and chairs, buffet table, shelves, rug, art and a chandelier in your dining room, all you really need is a table and a place to sit. The resulting look will be a dream—and much cheaper. Purchasing fewer pieces is cheaper than buying more pieces.
- Display beloved details – Make sure to display all the things that are valuable to you. Display them evenly throughout the room, and try to avoid putting them all on one shelf. These details do not have to be expensive pieces, you can use the things that have sentimental value to you.
- Pick a design and stick with it – It is very important to decorate in one particular style. If you mix and match, it just won’t look good. Do research on styles that interest you, take pictures, and go to the store to look for similarities. Commit to one style, add affordable related pieces whenever you come across them, and keep everything looking totally intentional and chic.
- Ensure that each piece is functional and necessary – Choosing pieces that are practical and functional is necessary for creating a wonderful modern style in your homes. Only buy what you need to upgrade your home. That is another way to avoid clutter. Keep things simple and elegant and you will succeed!
Things to remember
Here we mentioned just some of the things that will make your redecoration easier. Whether you are decorating in a modern style, or for example, Asian style, these tips will help you. Make a list, decide on your budget and declutter. This will be a great place to start. Go window-shopping to get some ideas. Moreover, if you are planning to move, try to find different moving assistance options at an affordable rate. This will help you save money, and then use it for your new-home decoration. Whatever you decide, remember to live simply and to have fun. Good luck with redecorating!