Owning a garage is a real benefit. In most cases, people use a garage to put their vehicle inside, so they can protect it from bad weather conditions. But, did you know that garage space can also have other functions? For instance, turning your garage into a living space is possible. However, this solution has some pros and cons alike. On the other hand, like when you need to plan a long-distance move, you also have to plan this entire process before making changes. Let us present to you about what you should know about this process.
What are the pros and cons of turning your garage into a living space?
As we mentioned, even for this situation, you have a list of the pros and cons. Keep in mind that when it comes to thinking about making changes, you have to consider both sides. So, what are the pros and cons of making your garage into a living space?
A list of the pros
- Having more available space. – The first and obvious reason why turning your garage into a living space is a good option is because you will have more available space.
- It is an affordable option. – Keep in mind that a garage is a place that already exists. In other words, you will not have extra costs for building another part of the house.
- You will make a clear space in your garage. – This is probably one of the best benefits you can get. Most people are putting their old boxes, junks, items, etc. inside a garage. By turning it into a living space, you can finally get rid of these goods. You just have to find a suitable option. For example, if you live in New Jersey, you just have to find NJ based unit where you can store all the junk.
- Renovating a garage is not a complicated process. – We have mentioned that turning a garage is an affordable option because you already own this part of a house. It is the same situation when you need to renovate it. Not only will you do it with ease by putting floors and new doors, but it will not cost you a lot.
As you can see, there are many reasons why you should give your garage a new function and a new look. Still, what should you know about the cons?
A list of the cons
- You will not be able to store your vehicle and other goods. – When we have mentioned the list of the pros, we said that you will have more available space. But, if you need the goods and a place where you will put your car, you will lose that if you turn your garage into a living space.
- Finding an alternative solution for storing your goods. – If you are still going to need your belongings, it means that you need an alternative solution. Keep in mind that renting a storage unit is one of the most reliable options. Speaking about it, you should consider visiting vanexpressnj.com where you can find more about storage services.
- When the time comes to sell your house, you can lose on the price. – In most cases, people who are looking to buy a house, they simply want to have a garage as a separated unit. If you offer them a house that has a garage turned into the living space, you might not sell your house for the price you have expected.
Even if you have a list of the cons, you should still think about this solution. Especially, if you are looking to spend a long period in your house. Keep in mind that by turning your garage into the living space, you will definitely have more space. For example, a garage can comfortably become a guest house. In this way, when your family or friends come to visit you, there is always going to be enough space.
If you decide to make your garage into a living space, it means that you have to prepare for this task. Speaking about that, let us present to you the major things that you have to finish.
Think about how you are going to improve it
First of all, you need to have a plan for how you want your garage to look. Keep in mind that you can always use new and upcoming home improvement trends for 2020. In this way, you can find something interesting that will be suitable for your garage. Once you find a good option, create a plan, and define how long the improvement is going to take, what types of materials you are going to need, and many other things.
Define how much your remodeling is going to cost you
We have mentioned that when you need to turn your garage into a living space, you will need to remodel some things, such as floors and doors. Before you start this process, you have to set the costs. Keep in mind that remodeling on a budget is not a myth. In other words, if you set the costs properly, you can renovate your garage and still save money!
Turning your garage into a living space is a good option
To make a conclusion, if you have an opportunity, turning your garage into a living space is definitely a good option. Remember a list of the pros that we have presented to you. Keep in mind that you will have more space, practically another big room for your family or friends, and other benefits we have mentioned. The most important thing is that this process will not cost you a lot. If you plan your budget properly, be sure that you will make a good living space in your garage!